St. George IronMan 2011 InfoGraphic

[Update April 13th: A new participant list came out April 8th, so I’ve updated the graphic with the new info. Registration dropped by another 50 spots, but there were 51 new names on the list, so 101 must have dropped out. Quite a few pros registered in the last month, including TJ Tolakson and Jodie Swallow (70.3 World Champ!).]

So I was looking at the participant lists for the 2011 and 2010 IronMan St. George, and noticed that there’s quite a difference between last year and this year. A big one being that there are still open slots for this year less than two months from race day, while there were over 2500 signups last year 9 months before the race!

Thought it would be interesting to compare the two, so spent some time this weekend making this infographic (when I probably should have been training!). Hope you like it!

ironman st. george infographic

21 Responses to “St. George IronMan 2011 InfoGraphic”

1. Dr. Andrew White August 26, 2011 at 11:46 am #

The event was great. We had a lot of participants and supporters stop by the office. Most common injury among supporters? Shoulder pain from cheering the participants, and a few from camping.

We are looking forward to next year. Our clinic doors will be open to help out with injuries (Innova Pain Clinic).

2. Sky May 28, 2011 at 6:15 am #

Great visualization. How did you make it, if I may ask?

• Chris May 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Hi Sky. The graphic I made in Adobe Illustrator. The data I pulled from the published participant lists into a MySQL database. It would be fun to do something similar but make it dynamic so you could compare races to each other.

3. ShaRee Hirschi April 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

If you all see a little drool on your bikes, it may just be from me, sorry. I’m a T1 bike volunteer. I’ll try to wipe it off. :)

• Chris April 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

I’m sure they will see worse before the day is over! Thanks for volunteering, you guys made the race for me last year. So great!

4. Erika H April 14, 2011 at 8:36 am #

I am signed up for this race and have trained through the winter, (I live in Minnesota) and am really excited plus a littled scared about this ironman. This will be my second, Lake Placid was my first. I think it is just fine that this race is not full, less people to content with in the swim at the start. An ironman is suppose to be hard and they all have aspects that make that true whether it is the weather conditons or the course.

Thanks for the charts, it was fun to look at.

• Chris April 14, 2011 at 10:35 am #

Thanks for visiting Erika. I’m originally from your neck of the woods — Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Lots of relatives in the Twin Cities.

Lake Placid has a tough bike too right? Lots of rollers?

The fact that there will be fewer people in the water crossed my mind too. Last year though I was surprised how little contact there was. Have you had a chance to preview the course out here yet?

• Erika April 22, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Being from that part of the country you understand how hard it is too get out when it is still snowing, (and it is STILL snowing). I can’t wait to not have to wear multiple layers when I bike or run.

Lake Placid’s bike is also hilly and being a two loop course you get to do them twice. The ride through the notch into town is 10 miles gradually uphill and usually into the wind but it is beautiful. The run is not bad, a few big hills. The spectators are great on both parts. I would do LP again.

We have not been to St George yet. In two weeks will be the first time.

• Chris April 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Hope you have a great race Erika. There are a lot of the same kind of gradual uphill sections at St. George too (and some not-so-gradual). Spectators and volunteers are great at St. George too, feels like the whole town turns out. You’ll have fun.

This spring has been much more wet than last year here in Salt Lake City, although generally our winters are relatively mild. I’ve been able to get out on some good rides. And, fortunately St. George is only about a 4.5 hour drive — I’ll be headed down there this evening for some open water swimming in Sand Hollow tomorrow. I’ll give you a water temp report when I get back!

5. Richard April 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Chris, I noticed that there were still slots open as well and was wondering why. I have been searching the web to find information on the triathlon but not much luck. I started out last year at age 50 racing in sprints. This year I am moving up to olympic and possibly a half. From what I have seen here it looks like this may not be the race for a first timer Ironman. I live in Colorado and was going to try to sign up for the Ironman in Tempe, AZ in 2012 but found the St George race which is a lot closer to me. I would appreciate any help, suggestions, etc… you could offer.

Thanks, Richard

• Chris April 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Richard, fantastic that you’ve taken the plunge into triathlon! One thing I’ve noticed is that strength and fitness for tri really does develop over the course of several years. Someone told me once that the average person will get faster every year for the first seven years they do the sport. So, consistent training without getting injured is the key.

I think St. George hasn’t sold out mainly because of the course reputation. There were a lot of first-time IMers last year (I was one of them), but I’ll bet there will be fewer this year. There is a lot of climbing, the water is cold, and the run is hilly. But, I think it kind of depends on the kind of racing you like to do–you live in Colorado, so I’ll bet you like mountains and hills when you run and ride. I love them, so to me it’s a great course.

No IronMan is going to be easy (who would want that anyway), and I know at IMAZ last year there was wind and rain on the course, so choosing Arizona isn’t a guarantee of an easier time. But, it is much less hilly on the bike and run. One nice thing about that one is it is late in the season, so you have all summer to get ready–you have to be willing to train in winter for St. George.

I loved my first-time IronMan experience at St. George last year. Volunteers were awesome, course was beautiful, and there was a lot of camaraderie among the racers. And, I like that it is a hard one. If you’re thinking about doing it, I’d recommend a weekend in St. George — ride the course (especially the loop), and do one loop of the run. I think you’ll know at that point whether it is the one for your first race.

Good luck with your training and season and let me know how your plans develop!

6. Moka April 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

You know what is so great about this infograph…? Is that I totally understood it! Thx for making this with me in mind. :)

• Chris April 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

I totally did Moka. Now I’m going to use it to calculate your odds of going to Kona. I think they’re pretty good! And, good luck at Rage, I hope it is the perfect tune-up.

7. Paul March 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Cool infographic! Thanks for putting that together. Our office (St George area tourism office) is in charge of the Ironman each year and we have been watching the numbers closely. This is pretty dang accurate and fun to see. I just posted (like 5 minutes ago) this years Ironman commercial on our FB page and on our website- Its pretty sweet! Good luck to the athletes! If I may post a link…

• Chris March 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Cool, I’ll check out your video!
      I was really impressed with the race last year. Awesome volunteers! It really, really helped to have all that support out on the course. Looking forward to it again this year! Thanks for all your hard work!

8. Kacie March 22, 2011 at 11:59 am #

This was fantastic! Thanks for putting it together! See you there!

• Chris March 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Glad you liked it! I checked your blog, you’re going to have fun riding that fancy new Kestrel!

9. Jeanne March 22, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I’m doing it!! mainly because there were slots available, it was a good time of year for me and, um, well… i didn’t check the triathlon websites where people were complaining about how hard it was. In fact, I didn’t check for reviews at all. I guess I deserve what I get, then, right? ;-)

Bring it on!

• Chris March 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Haha, well it will make for a good story right Jeanne? It was my first full too, and it really was a great experience. Extremely well organized. I’m sure you’ll have fun.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Age Group Counts for St. George : TransitionFour : Triathlon Blog - April 17, 2011

[...] can get an accurate count of the age groups for the race. I’d made an estimate before on the St. George IronMan Infographic from the previous participant list. But, since these showed birth ages rather than race age they [...]

2. Updated IronMan St. George InfoGraphic : TransitionFour : Triathlon Blog - April 13, 2011

[...] A new participant list was released for St. George, and I’ve updated the St. George IronMan Infographic here. [...]